Remembering John Lennon

John Lennon was murdered thirty years ago today. Man, time has just gone by in a blur. I remember where I was, and what I was doing, when President Kennedy was assassinated, when Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated, and when John Lennon was killed. It seemed so surreal..."Who the F*** would want to kill John Lennon?" I kept thinking.


I was a child of the Beatles. I remember watching them for the first time live on the Ed Sullivan Show at my Aunt Rosie and Uncle Victor's house in Jersey. We had been visiting for the weekend to celebrate the huge number of January and February birthdays in the extended Ortiz-Rodriguez-Gonzalez family. My cousin Julie was older and much more aware of "Beatlemania" as it was going to be known, so she was very excited about this new singing group from England. I was excited because she was excited (I tried to emulate everything cousin Julie did) The reaction from the adults was hysterical--they could not get over how long The Beatles hair was, and my Aunt Rosie was mesmerized by the expression on Ringo's face (she later said his expression was validation of a newspaper article that she had read that claimed that the skin on your body moved. She swore that at that moment the skin from Ringo's arse must have moved right under his nose...my Aunt was a riot)




I will always think of John though this way:




The message is still viable today--maybe with all the hate in this country right now it is even more-so.

Give Peace A Chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment